By Michael P. Ehline, Esq. – If a person on foot is struck by an automobile, then the chance of suffering injuries is extremely high. More than likely, when the pedestrian is struck it will put them into shock and not knowing what to do, can make the situation worse. When you do not know what to do, after an accident of this type, it can reduce the outcome.
Purpose of This Guide
This guide presented by Ehline Law Firm, PC can guide and explain the steps to take, when an accident occurs that are crucial actions.
- The first thing that should be done is to call the police.
This is like any other vehicular accident and it is important to involve the police, if you can. Police reports are a critical part of a documented claim. The chance of you being injured in this type of accident is high, and if possible you need to let the police know immediately. Answer their questions honestly, the best you are able, and if you are in pain or do not feel right, tell the police you require medical assistance.
- In the event you need medical assistance, request it immediately and any questions can be postponed. When the questions are answered at a later time, you can have your personal injury lawyer present.
Don’t Admit Or Confess
Anything that you say to the police can be used against you, so do not admit fault. If you are able to exchange information, it is crucial to do so at the scene, as this will be important in the pedestrian accident case discussed here. The insurance and contact information of the driver is necessary, if you are able to get this, at the time of the accident. Witness information is valuable and should be obtained as soon as you are able.
- Staying at the scene of the accident is important, until assistance arrives. Some injuries from cases like this, may not be immediately apparent, and you may feel fine.
This is normally caused by an adrenaline rush, which can mask some injuries, there are some injuries that cannot be seen without the help of medical treatment and others that do not appear till several hours or even days later. If you do not remain at the scene, make a police report and have yourself checked out, you may discover to late that you have suffered injuries.
- Taking photographs is important, even though it may be difficult. Take as many photos as possible of the accident scene, if you are not able, then have a loved one or friend take these photos.
They should include where you were walking at the time of the incident, crosswalks, traffic lights and the position of the vehicle that struck you. Take photos of your injuries, immediately after they occur and through the stages of healing. Any kind of photo camera or cell phone camera can be used, which the pictures can be printed out.
- Get medical attention, right away. It is important to seek medical treatment immediately, even if you do not believe you have been injured badly enough to warrant medical care.
Usually the victim does have injuries, even when they do not think they are injured. Whiplash, neck and back injuries may not have immediate symptoms, they often take time to have signs of injury. When you do not seek medical attention, the injuries can become worse and it can harm your case. You can be faulted during your case, for not seeking medical treatment at the time of the accident. This can reduce the value of your case and in some instances result in the case being thrown out.
- Watch out for insurance companies! Insurance companies have one agenda, which is to pay out the lowest amount possible for any claims.
- Do not make any statements for the insurance company agents or representatives, without your lawyer present.
It is better, if you do not have any contact with the insurance companies, without having a personal injury lawyer that specializes in pedestrian accidents. Hire a personal injury lawyer, who is a pedestrian accident law expert. Insurance companies are not on your side, they do not have your best interests in mind, unfortunately. They have highly qualified professionals, who know the tactics to use in reducing the value of injury claims. This is why you require the representation of the seasoned and aggressive lawyer, who will protect your rights and fight for the greatest amount of compensation or largest possible settlement for your injuries and damages.
Ehline Law Firm PC has the experience, knowledge, litigation skills and resources to handle your claim to obtain a successful outcome. We will fight to recover the maximum compensation for your injuries, damages and losses.